What image would you like to portray?
Consider where you want to put your attention
Think about the audience
Think about what you would like to tell me.
There might be some things that I do that
you really like but I’m most interested in the
things that I do that don’t work for you; or
the things that are missing for you and would
make a difference if I started doing them.
There is a way of listening that allows people to speak authentically, a way of speaking that engages and influences the thinking of others, and a way of managing the conversation that leads to higher levels of accomplishment. This piece looks at six important ideas about how we have influence with others.
Creating the future begins with identifying a set of
outcomes that will not happen unless you do something
different from what you are currently doing.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What do I need to get started or spend time on?
- What would give me a sense of accomplishment?
- What commitments have I made to others?
- What meetings and events do I need to prepare for?
- What interests or projects do need to maintain momentum with?
- What small things have been hanging around for awhile?
Each of these individual practices create or enhance your ability to influence others. Think about which you routinely use and choose three which would make a difference if you began to use them.
There is what there is…24 hours each and every day
If you change the way in which you listen…
- What might happen?
- Who would you want to notice?
- What conversations would you like to go differently?
Someone once said that brilliance is in the details. What specific,
day-to-day things might make a difference?